Gnome has broken sound for 2.4 kernel, but KDE is OK.

I have several machines with Debian, and I have been experimenting with
esound.  I am unable to get anything (like xmms, freeamp, realplayer) that
plays long streams of audio to work properly with esound and the 2.4
kernel.  Perhaps it's my hardware, but two of my machines have es1371 and a
third has SB16PnP, and they all sound horrible except for short samples,
like window manager sounds.

If I use a 2.2 kernel, then the problem goes away, but I'm unconvinced that
this is a kernel problem per se.  KDE's aRts sound daemon has no problem
with the 2.4 kernel.  A LONG time ago I filed a bug report on this against
esound, and the bug-tracking system reports that some request has been
passed upstream.  I have done some research on the Web, but there is not
really much discussion of this problem.

Anyway, it seems like a really serious thing to me.  When the 2.4 kernel
goes out to the unwashed masses, is esound just going to fail for everyone
running gnome with xmms, realplayer, etc.?

For gnome advocates, this problem makes me lean toward KDE even though aRts
seems less well supported in general.  At least it works.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA