Re: Delegating to the Technical Committee

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Santiago Vila wrote:

> Our Constitution says that The Technical Committee may:
>
>     3. Make a decision when asked to do so.
>        Any person or body may delegate a decision of their own to the
>        Technical Committee, or seek advice from it.
>
> Which is the exact procedure for that?

This question brings up a more general problem that I have with the
current mailing list situation, but first let me try to answer your
qestion:

There is no specified "proceedure" that I know of, but the historic way to
deal with this is by contacting the ctte mailing list, presenting your
problem. All committee members are subscribed to this list.

Note, I didn't give a full email address for ctte because I can't remember
it. Worse than that I don't know how to find this information, even though
there is a potential method it currently fails.

In the past, if I didn't know a list name, I could send a request message
to a name I thought appropriate. If I guessed right, I would get
subscribed. If I guessed wrong, the mailing list software would deliver a
list of mailing lists for me to choose from.

Now the problem is that the number of debian mailing lists is so large
that the maximum size of the list is exceeded, which produces an error and
an end to the listing process. This leaves the majority of the mailing
lists unprinted. As this unprinted portion almost always includes the list
I am looking for, I am left uninformed.

Is there any other way of getting a list of mailing lists, asside from
logging on to murphy and listing the dists directory?

What would be ideal would be a request command (sent to
request@lists.debian.org) that would deliver the complete list of mailing
list addresses with no limits on the list size.

Anyone have a better idea?

Waiting is,

Dwarf