Re: DB3 symbol collisions solved...

On 15 Nov 2000, Philippe Troin wrote:

> Uh, couldn't you just link libdb3 with -Bsymbolic ?
> A shared library linked with -Bsymbolic will do symbol lookup inside
> itself before looking at the global scope... which should resolve you
> issue...

> It might me simplier than munging weak symbols...

The issue is not with a library looking up its own symbols improperly, but
with a program which is linked (indirectly) against two versions of a
library looking up symbols in the wrong library.

I wonder, though, if instead of munging the symbol names it might be possible
to do this with symbol /versions/ (à la glibc 2.x)?  It seems to work well
enough for backwards-compatible support of functions within glibc, but I don't
know how well it would work in the case of multiple libraries.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer