Re: 2.2r1 release problems

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Historicaly we have done neither, go back and look at 2.0 releases 1
> through 4 (or was it 7?)

Yeah, I understand that.  It doesn't make a big deal to me; I was
thinking about it more from the perspective of the naive user.  I
guess I'm more suggesting it as a procedure to try and follow in the
future, not as a criticism of the way the current release was done.

Perhaps there are three reasons to do it:

First, it gives good P.R.  Anytime we can say "look, we made a
release" it's a good thing.  Keeps us in the news, as it were.

Second, some users don't apt-get upgrade all the time.  They might
well do so only when something prods them into action, like a security
advisory or a release announcement.  So I think it's useful to send a
brief release announcement (perhaps just saying "we fixed bugs in the
following packages and upgraded the versions of the following other
packages"--nothing real big).

Third, people who do apt-get upgrade might be surprised to get a bunch
of packages all at once and want to find information about what just
happened.

I don't think an announcement needs to be quite so elaborate as for a
regular release.  For a point release, probably just "we made a point
release; here's how you upgrade your computer; here's which packages
we changed".

Is this feasible?

Thomas