netscape directory server, redhat bins, ...

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I dont know of a better
place.

While I understand one of the core goals of debian is to distribute
"free software" based systems, I'm presuming that compatibility with
commercial software is also a high priority.
And/Or the issue of  "getting taken seriously", which I consider to
mean "business-friendly"

This email was triggered by my attempts to get
"netscape/iplanet directory server" running under debian 2.2
The binaries are allgedly for RedHat 6.0
 (  http://www.iplanet.com/downloads/download/detail_8_398.html
    30 day evaluation, if anyone's curious )

I thought it would be a simple matter of installing some extra, possibly
older, binaries, and then I would be fine.
I was very wrong.
After installing "termcap-compat" and "libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1", the setup
program stopped complaining about missing libraries.
Now it just segfaults.

I dont think this is JUST an issue with the setup program, because I tried
calling the "startconsole" program in there (whatever that does) and it
also segfaults

SO, is there a group looking out for 'cross-linux compatibility' issues?

Or maybe someone interested in prodding sun/netscape/iplanet to also
release a debian-friendly binary for this?