Re: Another solution (was Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...)

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:18:48PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Because then changes to nsswitch.conf will require restarting
> > applications, or furthering this hack to check that too. Way too many
>
> Changes to nsswitch already require restarting things - you even have to
> restart your shells in many cases.
>
> The problem to solve here is that daemons can stop working after a glibc
> upgrade because they haven't yet loaded nss modules and can't after glibc
> is upgraded.

If changing nsswitch.conf did not propogate to running programs, then we
wouldn't be having this problem. I don't see how you can argue against one
solution by claiming something that would negate the problem in the first
place. These programs have an issue because NSS is not loaded permanently,
and it isn't done that way because of nsswitch.conf, so they will see the
changes there. Show me one instance of your claim, I've never experienced
it, and I change my nsswitch.conf quite often to test LDAP, NIS and the
like. I've never seen this happen and the change is always picked up.

Your solution would preclude that from happenning ever. Things would
*always* need to be restarted if nsswitch.conf changed. If on the off
chance some program does load up modules like you say, and not unload
those changes (which I seriously doubt given that this is a glibc internal
function), then that program is broke to begin with, and I don't see the
gain in purposefully breaking everything else to match it.

> > problems. Why is static linking the nss modules a problem? I don't see the
> > issue being that only a handful will need it, and it isn't that difficult,
> > but has big benefits.
>
> It doesn't solve the problem? If I install nss-ldap then I'm still
> screwed if you only statically link a couple nss's. Not to mention the
> usual problems with statically linking.
>
> I don't see what benifits you are refering to..

The benefit that most installations will continue to have the same
functionality (WRT nsswitch.conf actually working on running applications)
but still be able to perform upgrades that don't break