Re: Another solution (was Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...)

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:26:22PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > How about programs like this link with -lnss_compat? This would solve the
> > problem by not requiring a restart at all, and keeping atleast standard
> > name services working (maybe it needs -lnss_files -lnss_dns and -lnss_db,
> > but that can be debated if this is initially acceptable).
>
> This is still needed in general for static binaries - but I think it is an
> ugly solution to the problem that started this.
>
> If you want to go this way then why not have a libc call like
> 'nss_load_modules' that dlopens every nss module that could possibly be
> needed at the start of the program and keeps them open. Add a call like
> that to the top of all the daemons and the problem goes away.

Because then changes to nsswitch.conf will require restarting
applications, or furthering this hack to check that too. Way too many
problems. Why is static linking the nss modules a problem? I don't see the
issue being that only a handful will need it, and it isn't that difficult,
but has big benefits.