Re: Another solution (was Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> How about programs like this link with -lnss_compat? This would solve the
> problem by not requiring a restart at all, and keeping atleast standard
> name services working (maybe it needs -lnss_files -lnss_dns and -lnss_db,
> but that can be debated if this is initially acceptable).

This is still needed in general for static binaries - but I think it is an
ugly solution to the problem that started this.

If you want to go this way then why not have a libc call like
'nss_load_modules' that dlopens every nss module that could possibly be
needed at the start of the program and keeps them open. Add a call like
that to the top of all the daemons and the problem goes away.

Jason