Re: [BALLOT] Social Contract Change Amendment

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 09:34:18PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> You'll note, David, that Hamish urged you to "vote yes to the amendment"
> despite the fact that voting no to both amendments actually better reflects
> statisfaction with the status quo, which what you asked for (as you
> determined yourself).  This is because by not accepting Anthony's
> amendment, the pending GR would require a larger majority to pass,
> rendering its passage less likely.  Hamish wanted you to vote yes for the
> amendment because it would result in a change that he finds more personally
> palatable -- but it is change nevertheless, and thus "mucking about done
> with Debian.

Yeah, like, whatever, Branden.

An amendment to a proposal isn't a change to Debian itself.

There are four possible paths:

Ballot 1         Ballot 2      Outcome
AJ's Amendment   GR
Yes              No            No change
Yes              Yes           No real change (non-free still kept)
No               No            No change
No               Yes           Big change.

Since Yes on #1 can only lead to no change (or no real change),
I recommended it to David, who is looking for no change. He is
more likely to get his wish (ie no change) by voting yes to
the current ballot.

Now Branden says that I find the yes vote more palatable, which
is true, and of course Branden wants you to vote no because that's
the only cause of action that leads to the change he wants.. so
one can only wonder what the bloody point of his message
was in the first place?

Hamish