Re: Debian boot system

In Fri, 6 Oct 2000 20:40:00 -0200 Henrique M Holschuh <hmh+debianml@rcm.org.br> cum veritate scripsit :

> This needs quite a lot of work to be done right, but it is viable... as long
> as you have a *human made* file describing all allowed paralelizations (and
> everything else *especially stuff not in the allowed paralellization list*
> runs serialized as it would be done by the stock rcS script, when compared
> to each other AND the now paralelized initscripts).
>
> There is not enough information in place (in Debian) to build the
> paralelization list automatically.

There is what I consider a *bug* in Debian,

per default init scripts are executed in the same order in the boot
sequence and the shutdown sequence.

It's appears from time to time in the list, and it's not fixed.

So, instead of:

initialize PCMCIA cards
	initialize Network
		mount NFS
		unmount NFS
	deinitialize Network
deinitialize PCMCIA cards

The current situation is :

initialize PCMCIA cards
	initialize Network
		mount NFS
try to deinitialize PCMCIA cards and barf because the network modules are busy and cannot be unloaded
uninstall network modules without any regards as to what's happening to NFS
Try and unmount NFS drives and cry out that network connection is not available.

... is this fixed?
I think it is a bug of update-rc.d, but changing the default behavior of update-rc.d alone
might break many packages.

regards,
	junichi

--