Re: Debian boot system

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> using a parallelized booting sequence probably won't make enough of a
> difference for say, car mp3 players, to boot normally, instead of using
> suspend to disk. still, it's a cool idea. as long as it can be done
> gracefully.

The keywords are "as long as it can be done gracefully."

You need to design a new /etc/init.d/rc which instead of reading the rcS.d
and rc?.d link farms, reads the paralelized boot sequence from somewhere
else in /etc AND the old serialized sequence from the proper rc?.d folder,
merges the two, and executes the resulting list of serialized and parellized
initscripts.

This needs quite a lot of work to be done right, but it is viable... as long
as you have a *human made* file describing all allowed paralelizations (and
everything else *especially stuff not in the allowed paralellization list*
runs serialized as it would be done by the stock rcS script, when compared
to each other AND the now paralelized initscripts).

There is not enough information in place (in Debian) to build the
paralelization list automatically.

See the file-rc package for ideas. Go read the LSB initscript stuff for
ideas on supplying the machine-readable data required for paralelizing stuff
automagically. Actually, if you pull this design off, I guess the LSB guys
might want to see it.

I'd suggest writting in a piece of paper a list of all the initscripts in
your system, in their current start sequence along with the time each one
takes to start. Now, paralelize it in paper (and make sure not to try to run
stuff in /usr before /usr is mounted, etc... you'll notice there are quite a
large number of deadly traps here), and check how much time you gained in an
ideal machine (two tasks running in parallel do not slow each other down --
which is not nearly close to reality, btw). Then post the data and results,
and we will have a reasonable idea if it is actually worth the trouble to
implement and deploy.

My off-the-cuff guess is "we don't gain enough time to be worth the
trouble". But I may be wrong :^P

  Henrique Holschuh