Re: woody Debian Installer plans

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 03:42:56PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:

> It it possible to make it to an boot/install/rescue disk?

I think it is possible, but grub is too big for that.

On the other hand, I usually keep a grub boot disk around (just grub,
no operating system). If your MBR is destroyed, you can boot from any
partition/operating system in the disk using the grub floppy (even if
you don't remember the filesystems/partitions layout on the disk). I
think this is one of its bigger advantages over lilo.

> Hochachtungsvoll,
>   Bernhard R. Link
>
> BTW: I have to say that I do not like large bootladers at all. Perhaps I
> wrote to many mini-op-systems that fit within the 512Byte of an
> Bootsektor, but for me a bootloader has to load the operating system and
> be quiet.

For a daily use, I would agree with you. But grub is much more
versatile when it comes to troubleshooting.

  Enrique.