Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant> (was Re: woody Debian Installer plans)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 09:49:28AM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> Do you think I might be able to get grub booting off the hard drive with
> that option? I would have to take down the machine and install a VGA
> console into it to try, so I'd rather not unless you think it should work.
>
> Exactly how did you install grub on your disk?

Disclaimer: This thread comes just a week after I installed grub on aurora
(work box) for testing.  I too am VERY impressed by this and even asked
the question why the hell are we still using lilo given the functionality
found in grub?  The only problems I've had booting the system with grub
turned out to be a divergence of kernel source and kernel documentation in
recent 2.2.x kernels.  (ie, what I wanted to do didn't work in Linux -
grub was quite happy with it..)

from my reading of the documentation, it looks like --force-lba is what
you need.

I am practicing a fine point of ethics.  It is acceptable to shoot back.
It is not acceptable to shoot first.
        -- Zed Pobre