Re: IMAPD

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > If it looks like negotiations with UW are at a complete standstill, and
> > that they will threaten or sue anyone who distributes modified versions
> > without execution of a separate license, then someone needs to file a bug
> > against "ftp.debian.org" requesting the removal of the package (or its
> > migration to non-free, if it is still maintainable under such a
> > restriction).  Best to coordinate with the package maintainer on this.
> >
> As far as the current imap is concerned, UW has explicitly granted Debian
> permission to distribute a modified version.  It's a little ambiguous and
> Raul had no luck in getting a clarification, but it is probably enough to
> put the package in non-free at least.  However they also said a licensing
> change was imminent which would be "more to your liking".  Again not much
> in the way of details, but if as I suspect this has something to do with
> the release of imap 2000, it should be very soon.  I suggest setting a
> deadline of say a month and if it hasn't changed by then, move it to
> non-free.

The fact that they have explicitly granted permission to Debian should
warrant the move to non-free. Please see paragraph 8 of the Debian
Free Software Guidelines.

Perhaps concerned parties would like to help in the development of GNU
mailutils. We're working on a suite of programs based on a c-client
replacement (under the Lesser GPL, so there is no question as to its
freeness) called libmailbox, including a POP3 daemon and an IMAP4
daemon, both under the GPL. We can certainly use the help, especially
with testing different mailbox formats and implementing parts of the
protocols (the IMAP4 daemon needs the most work at this point). Feel
free to contact me or <bug-mailutils@gnu.org>.

-- sparky