Re: mp3 encoding patents.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Bart Schuller wrote:

> > > I just wanted to know that can't mp3 encoders be distributed from a
> > > non-us site where the policies are much more relaxed ?

> > the patents are held in Germany.  This restricts us because most countries
> > in Europe accept them.

> We would have a mirroring problem in any case, but that would still not
> rule out hosting them in (and for) countries that don't allow these
> kinds of patents.

AFAIK the MP3 compression function isn't protected, the psychoacustic
model they use is (represented by the tables). lame has its own
psychacustic model, so it should be safe to use and package.

> Oh, and of course IANAL.

Me neither.

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1