Re: mp3 encoding patents.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:57:10PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On 13-Sep-2000 viral@seul.org wrote:
> > Sorry to bring up this subject again.
> > I just wanted to know that can't mp3 encoders be distributed from a non-us
> > site where the policies are much more relaxed ?
> >
> the patents are held in Germany.  This restricts us because most countries in
> Europe accept them.

We would have a mirroring problem in any case, but that would still not
rule out hosting them in (and for) countries that don't allow these
kinds of patents.

Speaking for the Netherlands: you can't patent maths/software here.
European patents are also not automatically valid here, you still have
to apply for the patent. However, there's a fast track for european
patents, so the application could just be a formality. What happens if
such a formality clashes with the local laws is an interesting question.

Searching the Dutch patent database, I couldn't find the relevant
patents, but that might be because I don't know which are the relevant
patents. Anyone have some numbers?

http://nl.espacenet.com/ for Dutch patents, replace the nl with a
different country code if you're interested.

Oh, and of course IANAL.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed