global distribution of debian users (and their paper)

Upgrading to the latest version of libpaperg, it asks what default paper you
want set.  I noticed this time it suggests that, "if in doubt, select letter".
That is, the default paper size is "letter".

I found this remarkable because, if I'm not mistaken, the majority of the world
uses A4 paper.  Letter paper is used only in the U.S.A. (well, I've never
been to Canada so I don't know about that).

That leads me to wonder if a default value of A4 might not be more appropriate.
However, I'm not sure if the ethnic distribution of Debian users matches the
distribution on the globe in general.  If a majority of users does come from
the US, then maybe the default paper value of "letter" does make sense.

So I thought I'd ask here if any estimate can be made of where users come
from.  I suppose it would correlate with the distribution of developers, for
which a map already exists at http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc,
and suggests an even spread between Northern America and Western Europe.

The libpaperg maintainer, Marco Pistore, is from Italy, so I suppose he has
his reasons for setting the default at the foreign value of "letter".  I was
interested to know if there was any policy concerning this.

Not that it's a real big deal, of course.  I was just wondering :)

Drew Parsons

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A