Re: Which task package installs gpm?

> I've been putting the finishing touches on my book, and ran across a bit
> of confusion. One of the anXious config screens, the one for setting the
> mouse device, indicates that /dev/gpmdata should be used if gpm is being
> installed. However, the entry into this phase was done by choosing
> "simple" and then picking from a bunch of task packages. I can't tell
> which of these task packages installs gpm. I've done several installs with
> different selections from the presented tasks, and it seems that I always
> get gpm. I haven't gone through all the info screens on the task
> screen. Should I expect to find this information there?
>
> I expect it will be listed in the package list provided by apt-get, but
> most of that scrolls off the screen before it can possibly be read, so I
> couldn't verify anything from that either.
>
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

This is very strange. I've done several installations from the official
cd set using the "simple" methods and selecting most of the tasks, but
I have never been able to get gpm installed automatically. I had always
to install it by hand. Am I doing something wrong or is it installed by
the chinese or polish tasks?

I have reported this to the boot-floppy mailing list some months ago
suggesting that it is included in the base system but nothing has
happened so far.

If you discover which task installs gpm on yor system please let me know!

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |