Re: Debian and KDE: Appology

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 11:01:37AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:52:04PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > Richard's comment was apparently on the order of "It's about time",
> > which apparently managed to peeve the KDE people who felt they
> > needed to flame him publicly over it.. *sigh*
>
> It was not the harmless "about time" part those people got angry
> about.  They IMHO righfully complained about RMS' "forgiving" talk
> which is more like religious speech from a church or something.

no, it was a legal forgiveness of past violations - i read it as a
declaration that, on behalf of the FSF, he was willing to put the past
behind him and move on now that the license problem has been resolved.

> But RMS speaking like *this* is rather unappropriate and IMHO quite
> insulting.  I wonder if the author of ncftp who was hurting the GPL by
> using readline and who subsequently put ncftp under GPL as consequence
> of complaints was asked to beg for being forgiven as well?  I guess
> not, it was just retroactively considered legal, right?  Is this then
> just treatment of the KDE developers?  Definitely not!

the KDE legal fiasco has been a much bigger and much more public problem
than the ncftp/readline problem, and took a lot longer to sort out too
- the ncftp author immediately relicensed ncftp under the GPL when the
problem was pointed out to him.

because of the long and bitter public debates, RMS had to say something
and he had to make a public statement that it was now OK for KDE to use
any FSF owned code. if he had just ignored the fact that the KDE/Qt/GPL
problem had finally been resolved then he would have had people (you,
perhaps?) slagging him off for being stand-offish and rude.

> RMS should IMHO publically apologize with the KDE people for this
> condescending part of his otherwise correct article.  He should be
> wise enough to be careful about the context in which other people
> might consider certain statements simply derisive.

some KDE people should apologise to RMS for being over-sensitive
ungracious brats.

craig

--
craig sanders