Re: trouble with portmap on diskless machines

    viral> NIS doesn't work on the diskless machines. After some
    viral> looking around, I figured that it was the portmapper that
    viral> really wasn't working.  It shows up in the ps listing, and
    viral> there are no errors reported during bootup for portmap.

I am not sure if this is relevant or not (the error is different to
what I would have expected), however I haven't been able to get the
pure Debian version of NIS working on diskless systems.

See bug #48628.

I submitted a patch about this years ago, but for some reason it was
later removed. It is easy to fix in the source code (IIRC: modify the
if condition to test if F_GETLK returns the PID of the current
process), but am not sure if this is the current fix or not.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>