Re: qmail

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 01:58:07PM +0800, Niall Young wrote:
> What's the official stance on qmail?  Is the licence (or lack thereof?)
> too restrictive (any modified versions can't be distributed without
> approval)?

Yeah, that'll do it.  See
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch2.html#s-pkgcopyright

>            I notice that qmail-src_1.03-14.deb and qmail_1.03-14.dsc are
> in non-free - any reason that binary packages haven't been made (yes I
> know that qmail-src comes with compile scripts)?

You said it yourself:  "modified versions can't be distributed without
approval".  Debian doesn't seek special status.  It's part of Debian's
policy.

>                                                   Any issues or opinions
> on qmail?

I'll neatly try to avoid a flame war by not expressing my own opinion, but
I'll point you at someone else's.

> I've recently migrated from RedHat (and loving it) and while I'd prefer to
> stick with what Debian officially recommends, qmail has some features that I
> prefer.  Anyone got any good arguments against qmail?

Debian officially recommends something?  That's news to me.

-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human