Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

El Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:44:07PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard va escriure:

> On 17-05-2005 16:44, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
> > In our vision a Custom Debian Distribution is built from one cdd package
> > per CDD (see http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CDDTool for more info on that).
> > That cdd package is not maintained inside Debian but maintained by the CDD.
>
> To clarify: While most other CDD work is best passed on to Debian, the
> actual CDD package is not intended for inclusion in the official Debian
> archive.

  That's not my idea, it is just the opposite, any CDD can be included in
  Debian as a single package that only has dependencies on the cddtool runtime
  system.

  Of course if a derived distribution prefers to have it's own repository it
  can have its description package outside Debian and use the same tools that
  CDD use, but the idea about Custom Debian Distributions has always been that
  they should be included on the Debian distribution.

> This is different from the current Skolelinux approach - the packages
> base-config-skolelinux, cfengine-skolelinux, locale-config-skolelinux
> and webmin-ldap-skolelinux is currently in Debian.

  The CDD Toolkit proposal would do the same, except that all the things
  related to the CDD Description would be in only one package. Of course that
  only applies to the description, things that should be packaged separately
  like a gnome or kde theme would be on it's own package.

> So I suggest changing the current definition of CDD (as described at
> http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian ) from currently reading
> "all extras they offer will either become part of Debian, or are
> temporary workarounds" to add "except what is relevant to the CDD only
> (selection of packages, unique config tweaks, custom logo and so on)".

  I believe the definition is right, if it has things outside Debian that are
  never going to be included then we are talking about a Derived Distribution,
  that is all, it can use and share almost everything with the Debian
  Distribution, but it is not 100% Debian.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69