Re: [OT cymraeg] Re: Is this in a real Zoo?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:01:43PM +0100, Richard Smedley wrote:
> > >                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Sorry, totally baffled here. Could you elucidate please?
> >
> > It's probably Welsh.  No, wait, there's a vowel.
>
> Harumph. Actually we have _7_ vowels in
> Welsh :^)
>
> a e i o u w y

And station announcers announcing trains to Llandudno [Junction] are
not only incapable of pronouncing 'll', but don't know that 'u' sounds
like English 'i'. I wish they Did Know that... The 'u' sound is given
by 'y', so they are actually announcing trains to "Landydno". But 'y'
in the last syllable (where NumSyllables > 1) is 'ee'... Then there's
all the fun with mutations...

Tolkien's Elvish language Sindarin is based on Welsh.

Another language that goes mad with vowels is Finnish - on which
Tolkien's other Elvish language Quenya is based. Presumably it is this
language on which the Elves have standardised for documenting their
Linux systems.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons