Re: Boulder Pledge

On Die, 2003-01-28 at 17:34, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:42:56PM -0500, Daniel Barclay said:
> >
> > Is broken really the right adjective?
> >
> > Those mail readers weren't broken (or called broken) when they were written,
> > and they haven't lost functionality since.
>
> Yes; they were not liberal in what they accept.  They assumed
> everybody would do lines of less than 80 characters, and that
> they'd always be run on screens of 80 characters width.
>
> Neither assumption was technically legitimate.  They should have
> accepted lines at least as long as the RFCs allowed as
> technically possible, and should have accepted screens as small
> as their intended platform allowed as technically possible.

*yawn*

Mailreaders should always do what we want them to. Debian should release
more frequently. Opensource projects should all use totally patent-free
code. Computers should just work. Everybody should just be nice. There
should not be any wars. I should have a lot of money. The world should
belong to me.

See what I mean?

(not that your mail can possibly add to the pointlessness of this
thread, so please don't take it as an offense)

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured product: the GNOME desktop - http://gnome.org