Re: gcc-3.2 transition breaks build of KDE packages

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:12:06PM +0100, Philippe Seidel wrote:
> On Mit, 2003-01-15 at 04:56, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > Yeah, I've noticed that.  Every time I (accidently) say something
> > interesting and meaningful (to me, at least) during a youth group
> > meeting, everybody just looks at me like I'm sprouting antennae.
>
> Well, that doesn't mean that this can't happen to you if you're male. I

I didn't mean to imply that; I was agreeing that I've noticed that not
everyone is even *slightly* clueful about computers.  Someone said
that what we find interesting, most people don't know/care about.

> talked over a year to my neighbor in school about the extraordinary
> achievements I made every day in the struggle for geekness until he
> managed to tell me that he wasn't interested in any way at all...

Ouch.  Yeah, I know all about that, man. :(

> Besides, all he talked about was computer games and after all I've
> managed not to lose myself in the world of encryption algorithms and the
> internals of file systems in conversation too often.

Heh.  Once again, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  I'll start
going off on the fine points of programming languages, OSs, file
systems, etc., and everyone else will just be sitting there in dummy
mode (you know, glassy-eyed, etc.) going "uh-huh... right..."; even my
dad, who is finally giving up on being an electronics technician and
going into programming, and is now starting to Get It about Windows
vs. Linux, gets lost after a while.  But, unlike most people, he'll
stop me in the middle and tell me when I'm over his head-- most people
just let me go until I just kinda wind down (when the silence becomes
noticeably deafening, and I just kind of trail off :\ ), then they're
like "ok...  Well, that was... um... fascinating" and I realize that
they didn't understand a word I said for the last 5 minutes. :( *sigh*
Anyway...

> > Besides, there
> > are 3 types of 15-year-old guys-- the ones who hate nerds (all nerds,
> > that is; girls aren't let off the hook); the ones who are scared off by
> > girls who are slightly more intelligent  than average; and the guys
> > who are also somewhat more intelligent than average, but are so shy
> > that they can't put 2 words together when they're within 20 feet of a
> > girl. Or at least, that was my experience; anyone else care to
> > comment?
>
> Well I was fifteen too, three years ago and it fits quite well. Not just
> for the behavior toward girls.....

What, should that be expanded to apply to people in general?  (Asking
from experience, here-- I rarely ever speak in RL, unless I know the
person, and I even hate talking on the phone because I'm just shy.)

> CU, Philippe, taking part in the Debian self-therapy group =)

Hey, there you go-- Debian self-therapy group.  Maybe we should make a
mailing list out of that-- debian-therapy, perhaps? :)  (HHOS)

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://www.2khiway.net/users/vroemer
Registered Linux user #2880021   http://counter.li.org/