Re: debian-trivia

On Monday 06 January 2003 09:41, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 20:35, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Running "dselect" on that machine is an exercise in patience, let me
> > tell you ...
>
> Simple solution: don't run dselect. ;) Perhaps some of the APT
> front-ends are faster. Is anything else slow?

In my experience the biggest problem on low-end machines is simply dpkg, for
instance on my 100Mhz Cyrix with 24MB RAM and approximately 1900 packages
(rsynced from my main machine) it needs almost 50MB in the "reading packages"
stage which causes the machine to swap for many hours(!), making it basically
impossible to install packages via dpkg. (in this case it's not really that
problematic, since the machine serves no other purpose than backups, and if
it did it certainly would not even have a third of the packages it has now,
which is probably where the memory consumption stems from.)

Cheers,
Yven

--

Yven Johannes Leist - leist@beldesign.de