Re: Draft GR for permitting private discussion

Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> [-Discussion, draft resolutions-]{+Discussion by members of the
> committee are made public on the Technical Committee public discussion
> list to the maximum extent possible. There are however certain
> circumstances that require private deliberation, which is permissable,
> but such actions will be kept to a minimum.  Private discussions will
> only take place via email,+} and {+Subject lines associate with each
> private mail will be sent to the public mailing list.

I'm not fond of the last part.  The times when people have approached the
TC privately have almost invariably been because they were raising issues
that, if raised in public, would turn into giant flamewars.  Frequently
the subject line of that message is sufficient to cause exactly the
outcome that people were trying to avoid.  In fact, since it comes devoid
of context, it might even be worse!