Re: Dropping businesscard ISO images?!?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 09:54:11PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
>Hello Debian CD developers,
>I've just read news [1] about the plan to drop business card CD images:
>
>| There's a plan to drop the "business card CD images" of Debian since
>| they're rarely (if ever) used and tested.
>
>[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzNzA
>
>Is this true?!?

Yes, I'm afraid.

>That sounds really unexpected to me, since business card ISO images
>have become my preferred method of installation: they are small and
>handy, easy to download without overloading mirrors (even easier than
>netinst images), they do not include base system packages so that even
>the base system is installed by downloading packages from mirrors [2],
>they fit nicely even on older (and smaller) USB sticks, ...
>
>I think I would miss business card ISO images, if they were dropped.

There are a small number of users of the businesscard images at this
point. Set against that, there are frequent complaints from users for
whom the BC images don't work well. They're confusing people, and
they're very fragile - it doesn't take much change in the archive for
a BC to stop working. In terms of overloading CD mirrors, there's
*not* that difference in size from BC to netinst. The netinst is a
much saner image to go with; it contains enough for a self-contained
basic Debian system without *needing* any further downloads. The BC
stopped being all that useful years ago, once they outgrew the media
format they were name for!

Starting today (with Wheezy D-I beta 1), I'm disabling the automatic
creation of BC images with the daily builds. If you want a *truly*
small image to use, try the netboot.iso that's created by the d-i
team.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.