Re: Debian Wheezy, and distribution media (CD/DVD/BD)

I share Steve's opinion.

Em 26-11-2011 13:22, Steve McIntyre escreveu:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 05:21:34PM +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
Hi All !

Proposal: Replace CD media with BD (Blu-Ray Disc, 25 GB) media on HTTP
mirrors for Wheezy.

After looking a bit at Debian mirrors, the situation looks as-if
pre-made CDs becoming a dead animal.

Seriously.. look here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.3/amd64/iso-cd/

Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 has no less than 52 CDs on HTTP mirrors ! (amd64 arch)
It is *extremely* unlikely to find people, whom will actually
download, burn, and install Debian this way.

On the other hand, the upcoming media, BD, is not even on HTTP servers.
Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 can be squeezed into just 2 BDs !

For this reason, I'd like to ask to add BD set to HTTP mirrors and
remove CD set from it. (providing the CD set only via 'jigdo')
Adding BD set to HTTP mirrors makes sense starting with current Debian
6.x, while removing CD set makes sense starting with Wheezy, which
will likely require over 70 CDs -- staggering amount for anyone to
download&  burn.

What do you think about it ?
I'm not dead-set against, but I'm very unconvinced by this. Many
people don't have access to BD writing hardware, and the blank media
is comparatively very expensive. CD images are much more useful for
more people, I believe, even if very few would ever write more than
just the first few. CD images are also much more useful for writing
onto a USB flash drive than a BD image.

I'd be more tempted to shift the common arches (i386, amd64 and
source) to just making the first 5-10 as ISOs and jigdos for the rest
of the set. For me, DVD is the right thing to be pushing by default in
the future. Especially as trying to install a useful Gnome or KDE from
a single CD is approximately impossible these days.

Anybody else with opinions here?