Re: documentation missing for .disk/base_include and .disk/base_exclude

Holger Schurig wrote:
> I just found out by looking at the source code that currently the files
> base_include and base_exclude are not documented.
>
> udeb_include and udeb_exclude ARE documented, e.g. in
> d-i-cvs/doc/retriever.txt

Here is what I know of them. If this is accurate I can add it to the
docs someplace:

 .disk/base_include and .disk/base_exclude can be included on CD images.
 If base-installer finds them, it will use the contents of the files to
 generate --include and --exclude parameters which are passed to
 debootstrap. The files just list debian packages, one per line; line
 beginning with a # are ignored as comments. Thus you can force
 debootstrap to install extra packages that are on the CD, or exclude
 others that it would usually install.

 .disk/base_components can also be on a CD. If it is, it is processed
 much as are base_include and base_exclude, and is used to form a
 --components parameter that is passed to debootstrap. If it's not
 present, base-installer currently passes --components=* to debootstrap;
 I don't know if that actually works. This could be useful if you wanted
 to make a CD with non-free parts on it, and force debootstrap to use
 them, and install debs from them.

 .disk/base_installable must exist on a CD (an empty file is ok) if this
 CD is an installable debian CD (contains at least the base system).
 Otherwise base-installer will not use it. So this file is put on
 netinst CDs, and on full CDs, but is left off of the businesscard CD,
 which contains only udebs, to make base-installer download the debs
 from the network instead.

 .disk/info must also exist, or cdrom-detect will reject the CD as not
 being a Debian CD. The contents of the file are a description of the
 CD, and are sometimes displayed by d-i to the user.

--
see shy jo