Re: Red screen - possible cause?

Mariusz Matuszek wrote:
> > > I was installing 'linux26' using the installer daily build from 25th (or
> > > 26th) Sept. on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop. I experienced the 'red
> > > screen' at one stage of installation (package consistency check) and got
> > > rid of it by burning the netinstall image once more, but this time using
> > > the --pad option of cdrecord. This second CD worked without problems.
> >
> > It sounds to me like you experienced an error message, which is intended
> > to use a red background. If you didn't have a red background from the
> > very beginning, you did not see the red screen problem.
> >

> Uh oh - sorry for taking your time then. Wanted to help. While I have your
> attention though, please check if d-i images are generated with padding or
> not. If not then maybe it is worth to pad them?  File size increase is
> minimal (max. 32kB) and it would reduce the number of 'd-i CD not working'
> error reports from people with older hardware later on.

If you mean running mkisofs -pad, that adds 300k I think. Forwarding to
debian-cd for consideration.

> Regarding other point I made in my first email (misconfiguration of sound
> on Toshiba Tecra) whom should I contact to file this as a bug and with
> what additional information?

If it simply failed to load a module for a card that is on the PCI bus,
file a bug on discover1-data. If it's some other bus or the module
loaded but did not work, file an installation report or a bug on the
kernel.

--
see shy jo