Re: Multiboot testing please ...

On Apr 06, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Chris Lawrence is willing to do tests with isolinux, please continue as
> we may want to try that if we have troubles with the actual
> multiboot stuff. Feel free to prepare a patch too. :) It may also
> have more interesting features (no size limit on the boot
> image, more configurable menu and so on).

Ok, I have put together some files to make the isolinux idea work,
swiping quite a bit from the boot-floppies CVS (mainly the text files
for f1-f10 and the intro screen).  The only file in debian-cd that I
had to modify was tools/boot/woody/boot-i386, and the changes are
are enabled with a $ISOLINUX setting in CONF.sh .  CDs 2-4 keep the
"old" boot sector images.

This actually *frees* space on the ISO (about 1 MB), as only the root
disk needs to be included separately in the isolinux directory, and
the boot sector is not a full floppy image.

How it works: on boot, it displays a screen similar to the rescue
floppy's first screen.  The F-keys are the same; the only real changes
are on F3, where you can choose from:

dbootstrap: (loads root.bin with the same options written to install.bat)
 linux or idepci (default)
 bf24
 compact
 vanilla

And these rescue settings: (noinitrd)
 rescue
 rescbf24
 resccomp
 rescvanl

Anyway, I burned a CD and tested it, and it seems to work OK.  I'll
post a URL for downloading it for testing as soon as it gets done
rsyncing.

Note that this will be a 185MB 5cm/3in CD image.  It contains all of
the base system and standard, so you can treat it as a normal CD #1;
just make sure you have a network connection to install anything other
than the 229 packages that are on it when you set up APT.

Anyway, let me know what you think; I'll put together a patch against
CVS debian-cd once I'm sure it's all OK.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/