Re: kfreebsd-8 (8.1+dfsg-6) and fxp driver

Hi,

Виталя Яковенко a écrit :
> Hello! Today I updated the package kfreebsd-image-8.1-1-686 to version
> 8.1 dfsg-6.
> I was very upset after rebooting the system because the network has
> stopped working.
> When loading has been reported that the system was unable to raise the
> interface fxp!
>
> I started looking for a problem - just read :
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/k/kfreebsd-8/kfreebsd-8_8.1
> dfsg-6/changelog
>
> It immediately became clear to all!
> I started looking for a separate package of non-free repo :
> http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=fxp&mode=path&suite=testing&arch=any
> <http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=fxp&mode=path&suite=testing&arch=any>
>  but I found nothing: (

This is something required by the DFSG, it's not possible to have a
package with firmware in main. Sorry if it causes you such issue, but
it's the best option we have found so that Squeeze can possibly be
released with the GNU/kFreeBSD architectures.

> I installed an older version of the kernel, but it is not an option!
>
> Where can I get it deb package and not the files for installation. Of
> course I can copy and build it separately, but would like a more normal
> and transparent solutions.
>
> Do you plan to create a separate package type as the Debian GNU / linuh
> firmware-linux-nonfree - generally something like that? If I understand
> the situation.

That is the plan, except the FreeBSD kernel doesn't support loading
firmware that way. So the first step is to add support for firmware
firmware packages in non-free. It most probably won't be there for Squeeze.

Cheers,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73