Re: packages for base system

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 08:24:02AM -0700, Michael Goetze wrote:
> > e2fsprogs - The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries *
>
> Hm, are you sure we should use EXT2? I mean, NetBSD uses something
> else, doesn't it? What's the rationale for switching? And, if we do
> switch, why not go ReiserFS while we're at it? :-)

Net, Free, and OpenBSD all use UFS.  With softupdates, it
has the reliablity of a synchronous filesystem with near
the speed of an asynch filesystem- a much wiser choice
than ext2fs indeed.

And the implementation of ext2fs on Net, Open, and FreeBSD
are not robust enough to make it your root filesystem, mainly
due to lack of interest.  (I'm not just spreading anti-ext2fs
propoganda, I've been personally burned by it in the past due
to a catastrophic failure after a power outage)

> > grub - GNU Grand Unified Bootloader
> > lilo - Linux loader *
>
> Both of them?

Do you really want either?  It comes with a boot manager...

> > modconf - Device driver configuration
> > modutils - Linux module utilities
>
> I expect these two would be about as useful as MSDOS.SYS for a BSD
> kernel... that is, not at all.

Correct.

> > procps - The /proc file system utilities
>
> Uhm, the BSD kernel doesn't have a /proc file system AFAIK. We'll have
> to borrow some BSD Userland here.

Procfs was introduced in 4.4BSD, making it the first free UNIX
to have one (the first one that I know of is from UNIX Eight Edition)

So yes, it does have procfs, and yes, [insert-my-typical-comment-
about-the-need-for-this-project-not-being-real]

> > update - daemon to periodically flush filesystem buffers
>
> Hm, is that the linux-specific kupdated, or is it something else? If it
> is, I see problems here...

Don't use ext2fs.  That would just compound problems from bad to worse.

--
Dan Papasian               | ICQ UIN- 1240015
bugg@sometvshow.com        | AIM-      bugg42

Taxation with representation ain't so hot either.
	--Gerald Barzan