RE: packages for base system

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Krennmair [mailto:ak@kgbvax.dyndns.org]On Behalf Of
Andreas Krennmair
Subject: packages for base system

> bsdutils - Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite

Shouldn't be much work there...

> e2fsprogs - The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries *

I would think the native UFS would be easier to start with.

> grub - GNU Grand Unified Bootloader
> lilo - Linux loader *

The BSD bootloader or preferably grub, since it has been argued many times
to become the default Debian bootloader to replace lilo/silo, etc. Also,
grub is the default bootloader on Progeny Debian GNU/Linux.

> modconf - Device driver configuration
> modutils - Linux module utilities

These are very Linux kernel specific.

> procps - The /proc file system utilities

BSD does not use a /proc filesystem. We should be looking at the BSD
userland utils here.

> syslinux - Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS floppies

Not necessary. grub works on floppies too, as well as the BSD bootloader
which is far lighter on diskspace if you're looking to make bootfloppies.

> sysvinit - System-V like init

FINALLY! ;)

> util-linux - Miscellaneous system utilities *

Many of the utils in here already have BSD userland equivilents.
Additionally, many of the utils in util-linux are Linux specific.

Has anyone looked at what has been done for Debian GNU/Hurd? They may have
already tackled many of the issues we're looking at for
selecting/migrating/porting packages for a system. Granted HURD isn't
established, not like any of the *BSD's. But the reasons for their decisions
may still be valid.

-j