Re: installing on mdraid imsm arrays

On 19 April 2013 08:21, Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@debian.org> wrote:
> On 19-04-13 1:22 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>>
>> I'm highly interested in these patches and now I was about to prepare
>> / push personal branches to d-i/partman repos with this functionality
>> among other fixes targetting jessie.
>>
>> Timing wise, it was late to review by me for wheezy. Although mdadm is
>> far supperiour and preffered over dmraid, one can setup Intel Matrix
>> Raid using intel's bios firmware & then one can activate those volumes
>> and perform complete installation.
>

> Alas - the IMSM array shows up as a /dev/md device.. partman-auto hides all
> md devices so you cannot partition a md device, and grub-installer gets
> confused by /dev/md0.

Yeah =) I am fighting with grub-installer choosing something sensible
to install into at the moment.
I wish all machines magically used UEFI, as grub-installer is not
confused with that as much.

>> I apologies and I am expecting to review and merge your work shortly
>> after wheezy release. (well actually last week of may / early june.
>> Because before that I'll be busy with boost transition).
>

> I was a bit late with the final patches as well, because I was waiting for a
> fixed lvm2 and mdadm packages, without which installing on IMSM wouldn't
> work anyway. The mdadm package did find its way into wheezy eventually
> (thanks Michael!) and lvm2 didn't, but it turns out after a lot of testing
> that that doesn't break things too much (or not at all if you don't use
> lvm2, but I do).

I was bribing release team to accept mdadm at a Cambridge BSP as well
;-) and I am hoping for improved lvm2 integration for jessie as well.

>> And we can always push out an unofficial intel matrix storage
>> installer image for wheezy later =) as a technology preview ;-)
>

> That would be great, I'll be creating something similar for internal use at
> the place I work anyway.

Well once merged, I'll push it to Ubuntu and there will be daily
images available for Squishy Salamander (13.10). But I guess I can
build one-off debian installation media and/or backport to 12.04 LTS.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.