Re: installing on mdraid imsm arrays

On 18 April 2013 23:49, Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@debian.org> wrote:
> On 6-02-13 1:30 PM, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>
>> On 08/13/2012 01:17 PM, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>>
>>> At work, we're using mainly supermicro servers, and they have support in
>>> the BIOS for Intel Matrix raid (imsm), which is a form of
>>> sataraid/fakeraid.
>>
>>  >
>> [...]
>>>

>>> I now have a version of the wheezy installer that succesfully installs
>>> and boots debian on a mdadm imsm array.
>>

>> It took a while, but I have now filed bug reports against several
>> packages with all the patches and fixes that are needed to make this work.
>>
>> 699430: debian-installer: support for Intel Matrix Raid (RST, imsm)
>

> I noticed that noone replied to this message or to any of the bugreports
> regarding the installer. That means wheezy isn't going to be able to be
> installed on Intel Matrix Raid - too bad, debian would have been the first
> distribution to have that capability (with the mdraid driver, that is) - and
> the patches are quite trivial.
>
> What did I do wrong, and what is it going to take to get this into wheezy+1?

It's on my list to review, test, merge and release. Unfortunately my
new machine which Intel Matrix Raid capable, had a few teething
problem when it arrived resulting in me testing alternative CPU and
eventually singling out broken PSU. Thus I was late in getting the
machine available to push this.

I'm highly interested in these patches and now I was about to prepare
/ push personal branches to d-i/partman repos with this functionality
among other fixes targetting jessie.

Timing wise, it was late to review by me for wheezy. Although mdadm is
far supperiour and preffered over dmraid, one can setup Intel Matrix
Raid using intel's bios firmware & then one can activate those volumes
and perform complete installation. But indeed more flexibility would
be a first out of any operating systems/distros out there.

I apologies and I am expecting to review and merge your work shortly
after wheezy release. (well actually last week of may / early june.
Because before that I'll be busy with boost transition).
And we can always push out an unofficial intel matrix storage
installer image for wheezy later =) as a technology preview ;-)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.