Re: Preparation for d-i beta 1

Hi all,
(Dropping -cd, -kernel and -live)

As allocating time got easier with DebCamp, I have now successively tackled
two issues regarding the debian-netboot packages which should probably land in
for Wheezy (but could be delayed to a later beta):

a) src:debian-installer-netboot-images [0,1] hadn't seen updates in a while
and wasn't (IMHO) ready for Wheezy. I refactored the packaging to have the
list in one single place (debian/rules); debian/control can now be maintainer-
generated when the list of architectures change.

This has now been uploaded [2] with the latest installer version available in
wheezy and is now waiting in NEW. That said, I've been told over IRC that:
	a1) these packages will probably be broken soon
	a2) that these packages should probably not carry the mighty "7.0" label
	    before containing at least betas (especially because of a1 above…)

[0] http://packages.qa.debian.org/debian-installer-netboot-images
[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer-netboot-
images.git
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2012/07/msg00055.html

b) Then, discussing this over the lunch with Philipp Kern, we agreed that
instead of downloading netboot.tar.gz's from mirrors (without checking them)
to create those debian-installer-$version-netboot-$arch packages, it would
actually be saner to build them within the d-i build process.

I have been implementing this on the generate_netboot_package branch [3,4] on
the debian-installer.git. The approach I have been taking is to keep producing
arch:all packages (as was done in src:debian-installer-netboot-images ), but
one at a time: when amd64's d-i is built, then the debian-installer-7.0-
netboot-amd64:all package is built by unpacking the just-built
netboot.tar.gz's. debian/control becomes a maintainer-generated file.

This leads to the following problem: buildds are very probably not letting
arch:all packages go towards the archive. Each d-i .changes would be
"Architecture: $arch all" with a different arch:all package. I wanted to
upload d-i to experimental to test this without affecting Wheezy. There are
probably two ways out though:

	b1) build arch:any, multi-arch:same packages instead. This has the
	    downside of imposing the complete "foreign" archive for each
	    -installer package that an admin would like to provide over tftp but
	    makes more sense in terms of DEB_BUILD_ARCH.
	b2) fix sbuild :-)

[3] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-
installer.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/generate_netboot_package
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-
installer.git;a=commit;h=ed43166

Opinions, comments ?

Cheers,