Re: warn users if they try to install desktop with CD1 and no network?

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> just before debconf I bought a new laptop. Crypto-LVM
> initialization took so long that I ended up having to finish the
> installation in my hotel room with only WPA2 network. I used
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2.1 "Squeeze" - Official amd64 CD Binary-1 20110626-16:33
>
> and chose the desktop and laptop tasks during installation. During the
> "Could we make desktop users need their local Debian geeks less?" BoF I
> wondered if it was normal that my new installation did not offer
> Shutdown as an option in GNOME's System->Shut Down dialog.

What was the missing package? This basic functionality should all be
included in CD #1, only non-basic stuff should not be.

> It took me a while to realize what's going on. CD1 does not contain the
> all the components that are part of the laptop and desktop tasks. Yet
> the installer is not able to warn the users about this. So if you have a
> WPA network and you install from CD1 you will end up with an incomplete
> system. At this point I found
>
> http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/13/why-you-should-always-have-a-network-connection-when-installing-debian/
>

> Would it be possible for d-i to detect this scenario and at least warn
> the user about it? Something like
>
>   "You have not configured networking. This means that tasks
>    ${LIST_OF_TASKS} can not be fully installed. You can still continue
>    and install the missing parts by running tasksel manually at a later
>    time."
>
> should help.

apt-setup already does this:

 A network mirror can be used to supplement the software that is included
 on the CD-ROM. This may also make newer versions of software available.
 .
 You are installing from a CD, which contains a limited selection of packages.

However, this is not displayed if you explicitly choose not to configure
the network.

--
see shy jo