Re: GeoMirror (aka cdn.debian.net) as default mirror in standard installation?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 09:51:00AM +0000, Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
> Using GeoMirror [1] (aka cdn.debian.net) as default mirror in the default
> installation can save decisions and interaction to who is installing and be a
> more automated process.
>
> * Pros:
> - 'good' default as it should select a nearby working mirror
> - efficient use of Debian mirrors
> - less decisions to who is installing
> - less interactivity
>
> * Cons:
> - Less customization
> - 'good' default could not be the best default
>

> What to you think about it's use in the installer?
>

> 1 - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror

As someone with a local copy of debian since we have about 50 debian
machiens running, having to do expert install to manually enter the
mirror would be a huge pain in the ass.

So I think that would be a lousy default unless it asks if I want to
use that.  Some things really do have to be asked.  Where to install
from is one of them.  Now having an option of 'use a nearby mirror'
when it asks makes lots of sense, but it must ask.

--
Len Sorensen