Re: floppy install - unable to find root filesystem, ide_generic not loaded

Hi,

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:.
> > BTW, is there any reason why not install Etch from floppy instead of
> > Sarge?
>
> No, none -- I thought I'd checked that.  Actually, I think what actually
> happened is that I found the sarge link first, checked for etch, found
> it and then must have pasted the wrong one into the email -- Doh!
>
> Sorry for any wasted time.  Installing from Etch floppies would be much
> more sensible.

So, I made a new try with installing Etch and then upgrading to Lenny.

The first step, installing Etch worked fine, booting from Etch floppies
and the installing from a Etch netinst cd.

Then I upgraded to Lenny, according to the Lenny release notes in
three steps:
	apt-get install apt aptitude
	aptitude safe-upgrade
	aptitude dist-upgrade

No problems so far, upgrade completed without errrors or
any glitches, but the new kernel was unable to boot
(more exactly spoken: cannot find the root filesystem).
It's an 2.6.26 kernel from debian linux image package
(linux-image-2.6.26-486).
System boot hangs at "Waiting for root filesystem ..." and
then the debug shell comes up.
The problem is: there are no ide related modules loaded, only
some ACPI modules are loaded.
Doing "modprobe ide_generic" makes the harddisk available, and
closing the shell with exit let's the system boot continue fine.

Can anyone tell me, why this happens?
Should I file a bugreport? Against which package?

Holger

--

Created with Sylpheed 2.5.0