Re: Notes on current squeeze installation

Bastian Blank wrote:
>> > - usb-modeswitch. The kernel seems to handle this in the meantime.
>> This one is pulled my modem-manager, a dependency of network-manager.
>> According to NetworkManager upstream, modem quirks should no longer be
>> added to the kernel but to usb-modeswitch. I can dig out references if
>> you want.
>
> Well, the kernel would be authorative in this case. And lately all the
> devices I checked always provides both this weird install disk and two
> serial devices without further interaction. However I have no descriptor
> dump available.
>
> Bastian

Hi, (with my usb-modeswitch maintainer hat on)

from the various discussions I have read within kernel, udev and usb-
modeswitch upstreams, usb-modeswitch is now the canonical place for that
fonctionality: it allows faster adaptation to real-world than having this
in-kernel.

By the way, latest udev (153-1) upload removes the modem-modeswitch
functionality to let this up to usb-modeswitch (#577460).

Cheers,

OdyX