Re: Installer wish

Quoting Holger Wansing (linux@wansing-online.de):
> Hallo,
>
> Heiko Ernst <Heiko.Ernst@aschershain.de> wrote:
> > Please forward the message to a german team user
> >
> > Ich hätte da mal eine Vorschlag für den debian squeeze Installer, Ich habe 2
> > Netzwerkkarten in meinem Rechner. Ist es möglich das ich im Installer gleich
> > alle beide aktiviren kann so das ich dann nach der Installation den
> > Grundsystems mit ifconfig alle beide Netzwerkkarten angezeigt bekomme?
>
> this is a proposal of a german speaking user to the d-i devel team.
> I will translate it:
>
> Heiko Ernst wrote:
> I have a proposal for the debian squeeze Installer:
> I have two network cards in my machine. Is it possible to get both activated
> in debian installer, so that after installation of the base system I get both
> displayed when I execute ifconfig?

Danke, Holger, for translating...

To Heiko:

Well, everything is possible once there is someone to code it.

However, I fail to see the real use cases for this, apart from having
a guarantee that things are properly setup from the beginning and
users don't have to mess around to find out what magic has to be done
in order to configure the second network card.

Though I admit this could probably help those who are not clever
enough to figure out the very clever, but sometimes hard to decipher,
mechanisms we use to configure thigns in Debian.....I think it doesn't
really belong to the installer. Indeed, when one installs a machine,
the second network interface (whatever it is) is unused....and thus
not necessary for the installation process.

Adding the possibility to confdigure the second network card would add
quite some bloat to the network configuration step...requiring to
build something like a state machine recording which card has been
configured, and build it around the current system.

With the incredibly scarce "resources" currently really contributing
to D-I, I really fail to see how this can happen.