Release a beta/prerelease version?

We all know that the situation of the D-I team (or what remains of it)
is not brilliant...

Still, the "recent" alpha release seems to have been quite OK, even
though I doubt there has been that many tests....and if there have
been, we may have failed to isolate release critical problems in the
reports.

On the other hand, we have a pending major improvement: the new
X-based graphical installer prepared by Cyril....and the persepctive
of a Squeeze release "sometime" around the second half of 2010 (this
is probably all we can say from the current status of RC bugs and the
staffing problems in the release team).

I think this could lead us to prepare a release that could at least be
named "beta"....Indeed, being realistic it shoul dbe named
"pre-release" as I really fail to see how we want to incorporate new
stuff with our current team situation.

Maybe a first start would be to reinstate g-i builds ASAP. What's the
situation there?