Re: Avoiding display of console-setup dialogs during base-installation

On Monday 16 November 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > I've just committed the following patch for kbd-chooser (which is
> > currently responsible for installing console-setup). The patch sets
> > the seen flag for the keyboard variant debconf question to avoid its
> > display during base-installer.
> >
> > The line that sets the value to an empty string is needed because you
> > cannot set the seen flag for a question that does not yet exist. An
> > empty value does not interfere with setting the value by c-s itself
> > (and there is no risk that the question already exists through
> > preseeding, otherwise the existence of the question would need to be
> > tested first).
>
> OK, this does not work after all. At least for Lenny installs the empty
> value *does* interfere with the configuration and results in Afghanistan
> (the first option) being selected.

Pfew, it was just a Lenny issue after all. For Lenny we need to set:
   console-setup console-setup/layoutcode string
   console-setup console-setup/variantcode string

I.e, *code templates instead of layout and variant.
I've modified lenny-support to do this.

My original patch was not 100% clean. All that's needed for Squeeze is:
   keyboard-configuration keyboard-configuration/variant select

Changes:
- removed the ""; simply omitting a value is the correct way;
- no need to separately set the seen flag as setting the value will
  do that by default.

It works for both Lenny and Squeeze now. Tested for both us and fr-latin9.

Cheers,
FJP