Re: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup

On Sunday 15 November 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> Perhaps we could further improve localechooser in that respect by
> reusing the shortlist questions to ask what country they'd prefer for
> localization if they selected "other" the first time around. That could
> be a relatively cheap solution.

I've implemented this at the cost of (only?) 58 lines of code (including
blank lines) and 1 template [1] in localechooser.

After selecting Français, Autre, Europe, Pays-Bas I now get a new dialog
allowing to select a "preferred locale":
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/d-i/choose-mirror/preferred-locale_fr.png

Or for English (shows support for UTF-8 locales that don't have a .UTF-8
extention):
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/d-i/choose-mirror/preferred-locale_en.png

I've only lightly tested it, but the implementation is fairly
straightforward and should also work fine with preseeding [2].

I'm wondering if the last dialog that (at medium/low priority) allows to
select a default locale from default/preferred locale plus selected
additional locales should now be either dropped completely or only asked
at low priority (and no longer at medium).
Against that is that a Dutch user might want to use nl_NL.UTF-8 even if his
default language is en. I just don't know if that's valid.

I've uploaded yet another new version of my test image that includes this
change: http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/d-i/choose-mirror/.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Only the description needs translating; the rest is taken from existing
templates.
[2] If the locale is preseeded, it just gets skipped. This change is on to
of my pending preseeding changes; with those users can preseed any desired
supported locale.