Re: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 07:45:48AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009, Colin Watson wrote:
> > This distinction is not relevant. If I am a speaker of British English
> > living in Germany, the only way I can get the behaviour I want is to
> > select language English, country United Kingdom, timezone Europe/Berlin.
>
> Not anymore. With the version of localechooser in SVN and at medium
> priority you can select:
> - English
> - Germany
> - Additional locale en_GB.UTF-8
> - Default locale  en_GB.UTF-8
> And you will automatically get the correct timezone.

Do you not think this is an unreasonably complicated way to specify
things?

To be perfectly honest, this seems to me like a classic example of an
interface designed by people familiar with the underlying
implementation. I don't like it at all. Users should never have to see
"en_GB.UTF-8", and having to navigate around "additional locales" and
"default locales" is too convoluted.

> > As you well know, the country selected in localechooser is used to
> > determine the country part of the locale; for example, if you want en_GB
> > (which differs from en_US in a host of little ways important to British
> > English speakers), selecting Germany at the country question is just not
> > going to cut it. We both know that not all combinations of language and
> > country form a valid locale, so in reality the only way to get sensible
> > behaviour is to select the country that matches your desired set of
> > localisation conventions, not the country where you currently happen to
> > live. By contrast, the timezone you should select is very definitely the
> > latter.
>
> That has never been the intention though.

I think you must mean "That has never been my intention" - please don't
speak for other folks who've contributed to localechooser (including
myself).