Re: howto reduce size of a debian base system?

* Geronimo Ma. Hernandez <geronimo013@gmx.com> [091030 10:53]:
> I tried several ways of debootstrap, even using --exclude parameter, but I
> found no way to exclude an essential package from being installed.
> [...]
> Do I have to patch debootstrap or Packages.gz?

Filtering the files debootstrap looks at might be a possible way (not
tested if it works in that case), otherwise you will need to either
patch debootstrap or write your own one (just unpack some essential set
by hand, fake dpkg install record, and call the host dpkg to install the
other files with -iGROEB, ideally having disabled starting of services
before).

Sadly essential means two things: "system no longer works without" and
"must no be depended on", so even if one of those meanings changes (I've
experimented with more minimal build chroots, where for many packages
the current chroots are absurdly big, as there is no need to have e.g.
a mount command in a chroot), the other one still makes things more
complicated...

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
"Never contain programs so few bugs, as when no debugging tools are available!"
	Niklaus Wirth