Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup (3rd version)

On Thursday 09 July 2009, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:03:10PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > No sane user is going to type such a preseed command at the boot
> > prompt
>
> My understanding of what Christian wanted it this: he wanted to be able
> to preseed (not at the boot prompt) console-setup/layout but not
> console-setup/variant.  As a result he would obtain an installation
> media for the people in France and he didn't want the Georgian keyboard
> to be in the list of the displayed keyboard layouts.

I think that what he wants (and I tend to agree) is to limit *at package
build time* what keymaps are shown *during an install*.

Personally I don't have any problem with c-s offering the full 200.000
keymap variants when a user reconfigures c-s on an installed system. But
during installation you have to somehow limit the choices, at least what
is displayed by default for a specific country selected in localechooser,
to a sane reduced list.

I suggest you wait for my next test results and user interface proposal.
I would appreciate having a new test image with the latest uploaded
version before that.

BTW, did you already fix the bug in Christian's last posted image where
<go back> in the first dialog and the dialog after "other" results in an
error? I also saw that the default for the encoding is no longer set
correctly in that image.