Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup (3rd version)

On Thursday 09 July 2009, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:36:18PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 July 2009, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > > If you want you can submit a wishlist report to allow preseeding of
> > > the list of layouts to show.
> > >
> > > console-setup/displayed_layouts =
> > > fr(basic),fr(nodeadkeys),fr(dvorak),ch(fr)
> >
> > Please NO. That is absolutely not what preseeding is for. Preseeding
> > is to *automate* installations, not to tune manual installations and
> > certainly not if the preseeding is more complex than just using the
> > dialogs.
>
> There is no harm in using preseeding to tune manual installations.
> Except maybe for those who write the installation manual. ;-)
>
> Nobody is obliged to use such a feature.  The point is whether such a
> feature will be wanted by the users or not.  I don't know.

No sane user is going to type such a preseed command at the boot prompt
(which would be the only realistic use case). If he's going to type
anything at all at the boot prompt, it is going to be the exact keymap
that he actually wants to select (and thus skip the question).

Please accept from me that the feature does not make any sense. At all.